OUR ICEBERG IS MELTING
Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber
Kotter is the leadership and change guru at
ďHandle the challenge of change well, and you can prosper greatly.† Handle it poorly, and you put yourself and others at risk.† All too often people and organizations donít see the need for change.† They donít correctly identify what to do, or successfully make it happen, or make it stick.Ē (Welcome)†
Fred, a rather observant penguin in his Antarctic group, saw the potential for an iceberg disaster.† He was not a leader.† What to do?†
First he used a model iceberg to demonstrate his observation of melting.† This was pretty much met with denial and a recommendation to keep it a secret so as not to worry anyone.† But he won over a few and together they figured it out.† Here are the eight steps of penguin power:
1. Reduce complacency and increase urgency.
2. Pull together a team to lead the change.
3. Create a vision of a new future.
4. Communicate the new vision Ė all the time.
5. Make everyone feel empowered.
6. Create short-term wins.† And celebrate.
7. Donít let up.
8. Ensure the change will not be overcome by hard-to-die traditions.
* * * * *